RE: Big 7.1 open items

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-15 21:48:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hmm,why is naming rule first ?

I've never enphasized naming rule except that it should be unique.
It has been my main point to reduce the necessity of naming rule
as possible. IIRC,by keeping the stored place in pg_class,Ross's
trial patch remains only 2 places where naming rule is required.
So wouldn't we be free from naming rule(it would not be so difficult
to change naming rule if the rule is found to be bad) ?

I've also mentioned many times neither relname nor oid is sufficient
for the uniqueness. In addiiton neither relname nor oid would be
necessary for the uniqueness.
IMHO,it's bad to rely on the item which is neither necessary nor
sufficient.
I proposed relname+unique_id naming once. The unique_id is
independent from oid. The relname is only for convinience for
DBA and so we don't have to change it due to RENAME.
Db's consistency is much more important than dba's satis-
faction.

Comments ?

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue