Re: bytea/ODBC/MSAccess issue

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bytea/ODBC/MSAccess issue
Date: 2001-11-25 21:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

IIRC our ODBC driver maps bytea to SQL_VARBINARY which is
able to be indexed in MS Access. Probably Joe is changing the
*Max Varchar* option > 255.
Currently the mapping of our driver is
SQL_VARBINARY (the length <= 255) <---> bytea
SQL_LONGVARBINARY (the length can be > 255) <---> lo
.
MS Access couldn't handle the binary type index > 255 bytes.
PostgreSQL hasn't been able to have indexes on bytea until
quite recently and bytea is unavailable for LO.
Every application has its limitation.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue