Re: Naming of new tsvector functions

From: Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Naming of new tsvector functions
Date: 2016-05-05 09:20:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 04 May 2016, at 20:15, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
>>> On 04 May 2016, at 16:58, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> The other ones are not so problematic because they do not conflict with
>>> SQL keywords. It's only delete() and filter() that scare me.
>
>> Okay, so changed functions to ts_setweight, ts_delete, ts_unnest, ts_filter.
>
> Somehow, I don't think you read what I wrote.
>
> Renaming the pre-existing setweight() function to ts_setweight() is
> not going to happen; it's been like that for half a dozen years now.
> It would make no sense to call the new variant ts_setweight() while
> keeping setweight() for the existing function, either.

Oh, I accidentally renamed one of the old functions, my mistake.

> I also don't see that much point in ts_unnest(), since unnest()
> in our implementation is a function not a keyword. I don't have
> a strong opinion about that one, though.

Just to keep some level of uniformity in function names. But also i’m
not insisting.

> Also, I'd supposed that we'd rename to tsvector_something, since
> the same patch also introduced tsvector_to_array() and
> array_to_tsvector(). What's the motivation for using ts_ as the
> prefix?

There is already several functions named ts_* (ts_rank, ts_headline, ts_rewrite)
and two named starting from tsvector_* (tsvector_update_trigger, tsvector_update_trigger_column).

Personally I’d prefer ts_ over tsvector_ since it is shorter, and still keeps semantics.

--
Stas Kelvich
Russian Postgres Company