ODBC confusion

From: " Kate Downie " <katedd(at)my-deja(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC confusion
Date: 2000-09-07 07:50:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm unsure about where exactly the ODBC driver(s) fit into the picture when it comes to accessing a PostgreSQL database.

I want to learn to access PostgreSQL from my Linux and Windows machine. (Linux machine is running PostgreSQL) with:

1. Java - already done this using the JDBC driver in my jdbcxxxxx.jar file. I just copied this to my win machine and put it in my CLASSPATH.

2. Perl - I understand I can use DBI for this

3. C and C++ - there are library routines for this.

Is it possible to use an ODBC driver exclusively with programming tools/languages instead of JDBC, DBI, libpg, libpg?

Before you buy.