Re: Postgres perl module namespace

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres perl module namespace
Date: 2021-08-11 01:37:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Aug 10, 2021, at 7:10 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>
> use PgTest::Utils;
> use PgTest::PostgresNode;

Checking CPAN, it seems there are three older modules with names starting with "Postgres":

Postgres
Postgres::Handler
Postgres::Handler::HTML

It would be confusing to combine official PostgreSQL modules with those third party ones, so perhaps we can claim the PostgreSQL namespace for official project modules. How about:

PostgreSQL::Test::Cluster
PostgreSQL::Test::Lib
PostgreSQL::Test::Utils

and then if we ever wanted to have official packages for non-test purposes, we could start another namespace under PostgreSQL.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company