RE: Timeout parameters

From: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>
Subject: RE: Timeout parameters
Date: 2019-03-13 07:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert-san.

> From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> So this says that it works on systems that have TCP_USER_TIMEOUT or an
> equivalent socket option and that it also works on Windows, and then a few lines
> later....
>
> + This parameter is not supported on Windows, and must be zero.
>
> This says it actually doesn't work on Windows.
It has been pointed out by Fabien-san before and it has not been corrected yet.
I am very sorry for making "needs review" even though I have not reposted the patch.

> I think the language about an equivalent socket option isn't helpful.
> We should document any equivalents we actually support, and not say anything
> about anything else.
Does it mean that doc explain with words "setsockopt()" and/or its option "TCP_USER_TIMEOUT" ?
BTW, This sentence is to be consistent with the keepalive description e.g., [1].
In my opinion, if this doc need to be changed, we should change docs about keepalive too.
How do you think?

> + To enable full control under TCP connection use this option
> together with
> + keepalive.
> That doesn't tell me anything useful.
Oh, I see. Indeed, this is not about postgres but general network.

> + Specify in milliseconds the time to disconnect to the client
> + when there is no ack packet from the client to the server's
> data transmission.
> + This parameter is supported on linux version 2.6.37 or later.
>
> Hmm. This looks like a second, and broadly better, definition of the parameter.
> Now we have a different definition of where it's supported. This is the THIRD
> attempt to tell me which platforms are supported -- just Linux, 2.6.37 or greater.
>
> + This parameter is not supported on Windows.
>
> And then, in case I missed the last three attempts to tell me about platform
> support, there's this.
I intended to delete these sentences. I'll delete it.

> Have you checked whether this can be easily supported on FreeBSD and/or
> NetBSD?
No, not yet. Checked red hat enterprise linux only...
Indeed, I should have checked on some UNIX OS.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-connection.html
Best regards,
Ryohei Nagaura