RE: Timeout parameters

From: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Fabien COELHO' <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Michael Paquier' <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>
Subject: RE: Timeout parameters
Date: 2019-03-08 08:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Fabien-san.

About TCP_USER_TIMEOUT:
> From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
> I could not really test the feature, i.e. I could not trigger a timeout.
> Do you have a suggestion on how to test it?
Please see the previous mail[1] or current kirk-san's mail.

About socket_timeout:
> From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
> are actually finished. I cannot say that I'm thrilled by that behavior. ISTM that libpq
> should at least attempt to cancel the query
Would you please tell me why you think so?
If it was implemented so, timeout couldn't work when the server is so busy that can't process a cancel request.
If the client encounters such a case, how does the client stop to wait the server?
How does the client release its resources?
Socket_timeout is helpful for such clients.

I'll send patches after next week.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/EDA4195584F5064680D8130B1CA91C453A32DB@G01JPEXMBYT04
Best regards,
Ryohei Nagaura