RE: Timeout parameters

From: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Fabien COELHO' <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>
Subject: RE: Timeout parameters
Date: 2019-01-28 04:51:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Sorry for my late.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> I still do not understand the use-case specifics: for me, aborting the
> connection, or a softer cancelling the statement, will result in the server
> stopping the statement, so the server does NOT "continue the job",
The server continue the job when the connection is aborted.
You can confirm by the following procedure.
0. connect to the server normally.
1. query the following statement
=# update tbl set clmn = (select to_number(pg_sleep(10)||'10','20'));
2. kill client-side psql process before the result returns.
3. reconnect the server and "select" query on tbl.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 3:14 AM, AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu wrote:
> Takayuki Tsunakawa, could you provide wider explanation of socket_timeout?
> I'm little bit misunderstanding in which cases this parameter is/can be
> used.
The communication between a client and the server is normal.
The server is so busy that the server can return ack packet and can't work statement_timeout.
In this case, the client may wait for very long time.
This parameter is effective for such clients.

> If TCP_USER_TIMEOUT is not supported by PostgreSQL, it means that TCP
> connection are partly controlled by the operation system (kernel). In this
> case pqWaitTimed() should be used on the application layer for connection
> control in data transmission phase.
In the current postgres, PQgetResult() called by sync command "PQexec()" uses pqWait().
If the user wishes to sync communication, how do you specify the waiting time limit?
It makes sense to implement in pqWait() that can wait clients indefinitely, I think.

> As for me It better to specify the description as follows:
Thank you for your comment.
I adopted your documentation in the current patch.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> To wrap up, the relevant parameters work like this:
>
> * TCP keepalive and TCP user (retransmission) timeout: for network problems
> * statement_timeout: for long-running queries
> * socket_timeout (or send/recv_timeout): for saturated servers
Thank you for your summary.

Best regards,
Ryohei Nagaura

Attachment Content-Type Size
TCP_backend_v4.patch application/octet-stream 6.0 KB
TCP_interface_v4.patch application/octet-stream 4.8 KB