Re: Postrgre Integrated App Development

From: KÖPFERL Robert <robert(dot)koepferl(at)sonorys(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postrgre Integrated App Development
Date: 2005-06-30 08:48:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Actually, I haven't done such thing, yet. However the intended method or a
possible way is this:
Manage schema-snapshots and put them in VCS
Keep a file of changes with version stamps (also in VCS). Document each
change to the db (so SQL commands you issue to change its struct). So one
can upgrade from any schema version to any other higher one.
If you happen to radically change the structure (i.e. Make 2 tables of one):
Keep the old table. Create the new ones, fill them with current data,
truncate the old table and remove all indexes etc. Make it become a view by
adding a _RETURN rule. Add insert+delete+update rules. So any old
application is able to operate on the new schema like it did on the old one.
Even stored procedures keep working.
If your apps just use stored procs (which is recommended) you can also
change them to use the new tables or what-o-ever.
It depends, but this is the principe