Re: Is it possible to redirect an update/insert/delete to a different table?

From: Andy Ballingall <andy(at)areyoulocal(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to redirect an update/insert/delete to a different table?
Date: 2005-11-20 15:28:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello Peter,

I'm glad it's possible, but I can't see how from the documentation.

Say if I have a table called 'apples' and a table called 'pears'.

What would the rule look like that would remap all updates on apples so that
they were applied to pears instead?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Ballingall wrote:
> I've looked through rules, and as far as I can make out, they are
> only useful for explicit actions. I'm looking for something that
> behaves as though it simply substitutes the table name for a
> different table name before executing the command, no matter what the
> command looks like.

You can write a couple of rules for that.

--
Peter Eisentraut