Re: Invalid objects

To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: artacus(at)comcast(dot)net
Subject: Re: Invalid objects
Date: 2010-04-24 19:56:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott,

I implemented a system exactly like this for the app in my signature below. Basically the system stores metadata containing each view definition and the joins between them. When someone needs to alter a view, say to remove a column, a DROP CASCADE is performed then each view is recreated in turn *in the correct order*. Everything's in a transaction, so a failure of recreation will roll back to the original state. This can of course happen if for example a column is deleted which other views use. This method is only used if the original attempt fails due to dependency errors - some view updates can work just fine anyway.

I can point you to the relevant code in GitHub if you're interested (it's Java).

Regards
Oliver Kohll

oliver(at)agilebase(dot)co(dot)uk / +44(0)7814 828608 / skype:okohll
www.agilebase.co.uk - software
www.gtwm.co.uk - company