Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

From: Tony Theodore <tony(dot)theodore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date: 2016-01-06 05:25:31
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 03:47, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> In reflection, the only thing a CoC does is put in writing what behaviour we as a project already require, so why not document it and use it as a tool to encourage more contribution to our project?

I fully agree with you. No one would question documenting (or advertising) any particular feature - indeed, the quality of documentation is a feature in itself. I'm reminded of this 2006 quote from Joss Whedon [1]:

Q: So, why do you write these strong female characters?
A: Because you’re still asking me that question.

The Postgres community is also a great "feature", maybe the question we should be asking is - "why isn't it documented yet?”? I don’t see a CoC as an end in itself, it’s merely an artefact of a community that is as proud of it’s workings as it’s output.

Regards,

Tony

[1] http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1018998-why-aren-t-you-asking-a-hundred-other-guys-why-they