Can't access table to describe, drop, or select, but it does exist

From: "Josh Eno" <Josh(at)always24x7(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can't access table to describe, drop, or select, but it does exist
Date: 2003-09-18 15:40:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Howdy Folks,

I was dumping a database to test backups of the tsearch2 objects, and as I glanced through the output of pg_dump -Ft database > DBdata.bak, I found a table that I hadn't seen before in the table. It's a table that's used in other databases, but not this one. Somehow it had gotten created and populated with 40,000 or so rows of data. No problem, I figured I'd drop it, and that's where things started getting bizarre.

The reason I'd never noticed the table is because in doing a \d it doesn't show up in the table list. If I try to do a \d TABLE_NAME, I can use <tab> to autocomplete the name, but then it says the table doesn't exist. I can't select any of those 40,000 rows while I'm in the database, and I can't drop it, either. The only evidence of the table I can find while I'm actually in the database is by doing a select * from pg_tables, and it shows up as the following:

schemaname | tablename | tableowner | hasindexes | hasrules | hastriggers
public | ROOT_U_QUICK_LOOKUP| cp | f | f | f

Any \d on the table gives:

Did not find any relation named "ROOT_U_QUICK_LOOKUP".

and any select/drop on the table gives:

ERROR: Relation "root_u_quick_lookup" does not exist

So what's the deal? If the pg_dump wasn't giving me so much data I'd be tempted to just delete the row from pg_tables, but the rows are there, and I want to clobber them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh Eno