Inact_dirty is increasing continuously and causing the system to hang.

From: "Kathirvel, Jeevanandam" <Jeevanandam(dot)Kathirvel(at)honeywell(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inact_dirty is increasing continuously and causing the system to hang.
Date: 2008-07-01 11:59:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

We are seeing system hang-up issue when we do continuous
update on table ( 2-3 records/sec) within 10-12 hours. Memory parameter
Inact_dirty( shown in /proc/meminfo) is increasing continuously and
causing the system to hang-up(not responding state). This issue is not
happening when we stop the continuous update.

Please help us to resolve this issue.

System details follows:

OS : Linux kernel version 2.4.7-10

RAM; 256MB (but 64MB used by RAM file system)

PostgreSQL version:7.4.3

postgresql.conf settings : default settings

Best Regards,

Jeeva