Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case

From: "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "beau hargis" <beauh(at)bluefrogmobile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Date: 2006-10-31 06:08:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

At Teradata, we certainly interpreted the spec to allow case-preserving,
but case-insensitive, identifiers.
Users really liked it that way: If you re-created a CREATE TABLE
statement from the catalog, you could get back exactly the case the user
had entered, but people using the table didn't need to worry about case.
And column titles in reports would have the nice case preserving
information.
Sort of like how Windows systems treat file names... The case is
preserved, but you don't need to know it to access the file.

I know UNIX users usually think "case-preserving with case-insensitive"
a foreign concept, but that doesn't mean the average user feels the
same.

If I want my column named "WeeklyTotalSales", I really don't want to
have to always quote it and type in the exact case.