RE: Advice on machine specs for growth

From: Steven Winfield <Steven(dot)Winfield(at)cantabcapital(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Advice on machine specs for growth
Date: 2018-09-20 08:16:09
Lists: pgsql-general

> Disable memory overcommit and set swappiness to 0 on database servers.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting (on linux) setting overcommit_memory = 2 but leaving overcommit_ratio alone, which defaults to 50%?
I’ve tried setting them to 2 and 0% respectively in the past and it didn’t end well…

Also I’ve read, and now use, swappiness = 1 which is supposed to disable swapping entirely except when not swapping would cause OOM.
Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Steve.