Re: [bug fix] PostgreSQL fails to start on Windows if it crashes after tablespace creation

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Asif Naeem" <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] PostgreSQL fails to start on Windows if it crashes after tablespace creation
Date: 2014-03-21 06:54:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Thanks for reviewing and testing the patch. Yes, at first I did what you
>> mentioned, but modified the patch according to some advice in the mail
>> thread. During redo, create_tablespace_directories() needs to handle the
>> case where the $PGDATA/pg_tblspc/xxx is not a symlink but a directory
>> even
>> on UNIX/Linux. Please see TablespaceCreateDbspace is().
>> destroy_tablespace_directories() doesn't have to handle such situation.
>
> If create_tablespace_directories() needs to handle with directory both on
> Windows/Linux, then shouldn't it be a runtime check as in your first
> version rather than compile time check?
> Also isn't that the reason why destroy_tablespace_directories() have
> similar
> check?

I see..., and you are correct. The first version of my patch should be the
right fix. It seems that my head went somewhere when I submitted the second
revision.

What should I do? Should I re-submit the first revision as the latest fifth
revision and link the email from the CommitFest newest entry?

Regards
MauMau