Re: inserting only new rows from csv file

From: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)OneSteel(dot)com>
To: "Seb" <spluque(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inserting only new rows from csv file
Date: 2008-10-01 23:32:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I solved the same problem this way.
csv file processed by gawk script to produce SQL script with inserts etc. Then pass
the SQL file to psql.

This is what I have in my BEGIN line of my gawk script leaving out appropriate print statements for clarity.

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tempjobdetails( LIKE jobdetails INCLUDING DEFAULTS );

--Do load from csv into tempjobdetails

This is in my END line of the gawk scrip ditto the print statements.

insert into jobdetails
( select * from tempjobdetails
where
( tempjobdetails.jobnum, tempjobdetails.opnum )
not in
( select
jobdetails.jobnum, jobdetails.opnum from jobdetails
)
);

Hope this helps.

Allan

The material contained in this email may be confidential, privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient, use, disclosure or copying of this information is prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please advise the sender and delete the document. Neither OneSteel nor the sender accept responsibility for any viruses contained in this email or any attachments.