Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress

From: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)OneSteel(dot)com>
To: "Ow Mun Heng" <Ow(dot)Mun(dot)Heng(at)wdc(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress
Date: 2007-12-03 00:25:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Ow Mun Henq wrote:-
> Ingress is also an open source RDBM (and DataWarehouseing) and I'm
> wondering if anyone here has anything to say about it. They also offer
> community editions but I've not gone to see how much it differs/offers
> compared to PG.
>
> I've tried to DL the community edition, but upon log-in, I only get a
> blank page. (tried on both firefox and opera)

Our business has been using Ingres since 1990 and still do.
It is a top quality product and we have followed it as it changed to an open source product.
http://www.ingres.com/downloads/prod-comm-download.php

What keeps Ingres in favour here ( amounst the other developers ), for good or bad, is QBF and Vision.
I favour Postgres because of psql and its ease of use in Bash scripts.
I moved to Postgres originally because I the source was available to cross compile libpq to OS9.

Hope this helps.

Allan

The material contained in this email may be confidential, privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient, use, disclosure or copying of this information is prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please advise the sender and delete the document. Neither OneSteel nor the sender accept responsibility for any viruses contained in this email or any attachments.