Re: dividing money by money

From: Andy Balholm <andy(at)balholm(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dividing money by money
Date: 2010-04-01 00:45:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> That's hardly an improvement if you're concerned about lack of
> exactness.

I know; I lose a couple of digits by using float8 instead of numeric, but it's much simpler and faster, and if it returned numeric people would _think_ it was exact.

And if we have a cast to numeric, people who want those extra digits can cast to numeric before dividing.

But I do still have the numeric code that I tried, so if that's how people want to do it, I can provide it.