Re:

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2003-11-10 14:55:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 01:16 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I don't mind including graphics, but there needs to be a maintenance
> path. SVG might be something to try. You could even create a simpler
> catalog description
> file in an ad-hoc XML format and then create the SVG automatically.

InDesign does have an SVG export option. I haven't done anything with
it, and it's something I'll look into.

> By the way, when done well, pictures like the catalog layout, the
> backend
> flow chart, or a graphical representation of a query plan also make
> nice
> posters.

Now there's a thought. The docs might be pretty much taken care of, but
when's your next presentation? :)

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 06:08 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> OpenOffice.org draw is easy to use & understand and generates both PDF
> and
> XML. Not terribly sophisticated, but OSS and widely cross platform.
> If you
> want a better drawing tool, try KDE's Kontour.
<snip/>
> I think Elein would be happy to host it on General Bits while we work
> on
> re-inventing Techdocs.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know once I've updated the diagram
to match what's in 7.4.

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My performance tuning PDF has a system table chart written using xfig
> so
> it has almost infinite resolution:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/performance.pdf
>
> It is the second to last slide.

Thanks, Josh and Bruce, for alternative apps. I'll take a look!

Michael
grzm myrealbox com