Re: plpgsql-trigger.html: Format TG_ variables as table (patch)

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql-trigger.html: Format TG_ variables as table (patch)
Date: 2022-08-31 09:55:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 31 Aug 2022, at 11:35, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 30.08.22 15:16, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> I found the list of TG_ variables on
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-DML-TRIGGER
>> hard to read for several reasons: too much whitespace, all the lines
>> start with "Data type", and even after that, the actual content is
>> hiding behind some extra "variable that..." boilerplate.
>> The attached patch formats the list as a table, and removes some of
>> the clutter from the text.
>> I reused the catalog_table_entry table machinery, that is probably not
>> quite the correct thing, but I didn't find a better variant, and the
>> result looks ok.
>
> I find the new version even harder to read. The catalog_table_entry stuff doesn't really make sense here, since what you have before is already a definition list, and afterwards you have the same, just marked up "incorrectly".

If we change variable lists they should get their own formatting in the xsl
and css stylesheets.

> We could move the data type in the <term>, similar to how you did it in your patch.

That will make this look different from the trigger variable lists for other
languages (which typically don't list type), but I think it's worth it to avoid
the boilerplate which is a bit annoying.

Another thing we should change while there (but it's not directly related to
this patch) is that we document TG_RELID and $TG_relid as "object ID" but
TD["relid"] and $_TD->{relid} as "OID". Punctuation of item descriptions is
also not consistent.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/