Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM <satyanarlapuram(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Date: 2021-12-02 00:30:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/1/21, 10:37 AM, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> On 12/1/21, 8:27 AM, "David Steele" <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>> On 11/30/21 18:31, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
>>> Do you think it's still worth trying to make it safe, or do you think
>>> we should just remove exclusive mode completely?
>>
>> My preference would be to remove it completely, but I haven't gotten a
>> lot of traction so far.
>
> In this thread, I count 6 people who seem alright with removing it,
> and 2 who might be opposed, although I don't think anyone has
> explicitly stated they are against it.

I hastily rebased the patch from 2018 and got it building and passing
the tests. I'm sure it will need additional changes, but I'll wait
for more feedback before I expend too much more effort on this.

Nathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-remove-exclusive-backup-mode.patch application/octet-stream 58.7 KB