Re: ODBC driver types

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver types
Date: 2005-09-22 09:23:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

From the FAQ (now shipped with the installer):

2.5) There are 2 drivers installed - which should I use?

PostgreSQL Unicode is a Unicode enabled driver that will work well with
modern versions of applications such as Microsoft Access, with character
from a huge range of languages. You should use this driver with
PostgreSQL databases encoded as 'UNICODE' (more precisely known as
'UTF-8' in PostgreSQL).

PostgreSQL ANSI is an ANSI driver which is also able to handle some
multibyte character sets such as EUC_JP, BIG5 and Shift-JIS. This driver
should also be used with databases encoded using any of the LATIN
charactersets.

Note that some applications (notably Borland BDE) do not work properly
with Unicode ODBC drivers. In this case, you must use the ANSI driver.

> Postgresql-libpq 8.01.0004

Lose that one - it's no longer required.

Regards, Dave.