FW: problem pasting text into a column in 'view data' window

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <PBelbin(at)McLeodUSA(dot)com>
Subject: FW: problem pasting text into a column in 'view data' window
Date: 2005-08-29 19:29:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

Sent to the list owner in error...

________________________________

From: Belbin, Peter [mailto:PBelbin(at)McLeodUSA(dot)com]
Sent: 29 August 2005 19:09
To: 'pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org'
Subject: problem pasting text into a column in 'view data'
window

Hi there,

Many thanks, and congratulations to your work thus far. I use
pgAdmin-III pretty much on a daily basis, and it's done a great job of
putting a nice face on postgresql. I would probably not choose to use
postgresql if it weren't for there being a decent gui with which to
interact through.

As you may have guessed however, I've recently become aware of a
problem.

I'm using pgAdmin-III 1.2.2 on Windows XP, and pasting a
large-ish amount of text from the copy/paste buffer into a 'text'
column, and find that the text is truncated at around 33K in size.

The text I'm wanting to paste is around 100K in size.

4 things I have noticed:

a) if you go to the end of the column, and try adding text, it
won't let me.

b) if I go to the beginning of the column, and add text, it will
let me.

c) having done b) quite a few times (making text of around 1MB
in size) and then moving from one row to another, the CPU utilization
jumped up to around 90% and the app never came back. I'm not sure
whether it sent anything to the db or not.

d) even after having gotten the larger amount of text (say 100K)
into the buffer a piece at a time by pasting some dummy text repeatedly,
if I then add / replace this with the text I really want in there, it
still gets truncated at the 33K mark.

Would someone with their finger on the pulse of pgAdmin-III code
be able to fix this please?

regards,
peter belbin.

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain
confidential information and is intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender via e-mail.