Re: pgsql 8.1 instrumentation status

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql 8.1 instrumentation status
Date: 2005-08-29 18:51:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Seriously Andreas, you need to get over this annoyance about these
functions not getting in as is. It's not healthy, and is only hurting
you and the end users who might miss out on features. I realise the end
result wasn't exactly what you wanted, but sometimes we just have to
compromise, otherwise we won't get anywhere at all.

Please, let's move on and make things work with what we have.

> You, as well as all others complaining about pg_logdir_ls, fail to
> explain how a query like
> select pg_file_unlink(filename) FROM pg_logdir_ls
> where filetime < now() - '10 days'::interval
> should work reliably. Try it with an alternate implementation, in the
> presence of "bizarre filenames"!

There are various reasons for this, including:

- None of our code does that, so it is a non-issue at the moment.
- There is no pg_file_unlink in the server, so why should the
pgsql-hackers care about making it easy to use?
- pg_logdir_ls only worked with log_filename set to a specific value.
You know as well as anyone that this is not good software design.
- Virtually identical results can be achieved using ctime or mtime from
pg_stat_file with pg_dir_ls (as I think Bruce suggested).

If you are not happy with this, please let me know and I will fix the
logfile viewer for 8.1.

> This logfile configuration stuff is a bummer. Anybody who changes it
> will probably use his own logfile reader.

Possibly, but not necessarily. What about people who rotate their logs
daily for example? They might simply want to lose the unnecessary
characters from the filenames.

> I'll be committing a 8.1 version of the admin package soon,
> which may be
> switched over step by step to use core functions if applicable. For
> now, most of them do not deliver the same functionality as
> present for 8.0.

I already created an 8.1 admin pack and committed it to SVN. Currently
it contains rename, write and unlink. If we need to add more, I'd like
it to be because we really have no choice to get sane functionality,
rather than just because we would prefer something work slightly
differently.

Regards, Dave.