Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Josef Springer" <Josef(dot)Springer(at)JOOPS(dot)COM>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel
Date: 2005-08-03 09:22:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc

OK, well as you know Andreas, my unicode/locale etc. experience is
pretty much limited to what I've learnt from you and Hiroshi Saito on
pgAdmin, however, I'm on a roll fixing bugs in psqlODBC at the moment,
so let's try to sort this :-)

> I wonder if the odbc driver changes the client encoding to
> unicode, as it
> should when connecting to non-ASCII databases.

No it doesn't but it seems a pretty major thing for Hiroshi (Inoue) to
have missed when he wrote the Unicode support, so I suspect he had some
reason for not doing so at the time

You (or Josef) can do this manually though for testing - in the driver
setup for the DSN, click on DataSource, then on 'Page 2'. Add the
following query to the connect settings box, and OK all the dialogues.

SET client_encoding TO 'unicode'

Then, try it out and let us know what happens!

Regards, Dave.