Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 15:36:52
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am not a lawyer, but...

Essentially you're correct IMO - ODBC apps do not link against the
driver itself, thus there is no closed/open source GPL issue. That only
comes into play if you use a GPL *driver manager* (both iODBC and
unixODBC are LGPL anyway, so that should be a non-issue as well). On a
Windows system the worst that would happen is that you would distribute
your application and get the users to download the driver themselves,
just to be safe.

Regards, Dave