Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX
Date: 2005-04-13 11:18:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

:-)

> You are of course right for the conf-file locations - those can be
> choosen in pgadmin anyway, so we could just default it to some common
> location.
>
> >>ad 2): Can you click on a saved sql query in windows, and
> >>it is opened in pgadmin3? If so, I could try to do the same
> >>for OSX
> >
> > No you can't. Make it the first new feature on OSX and I'll
> pledge to
> > port it to Windows :-)
> The only problem I see with this, is that we would need to remember to
> which "Server" the sql belonged...

Hmm, yes - not only that, but the database as well. That is a problem.

> On a related note - I often missed the ability to switch a
> given sql-window
> to another connection (e.g. when I have to execute the same sql-script
> on multiple machines). Would it be possible to add a
> dropdrown menu to the
> sql-window which selects the connection to use? If I'd come
> up with a patch,
> would it be accepted?

I don't see why not if it's of acceptable quality. I think that's a
feature I'd use as well.

> >>ad 3): This is a bug in configure - but I still don't know how to
> >>fix/workaround this.
> >
> > Our configure, or PostgreSQLs? Whats the problem exactly?
> It the ssl-detection in the pgadmin-configure. The ssl detection
> works by linking with libpq, and checking if this makes the
> symbol SSL_connect available. On unix this works, because
> liking with libpq also links with libssl, which in turn provides
> SSL_connect. On OSX, an app may not access such a "level-2" dynamic
> symbol - the app needs to link to libssl directly. But then,
> the symbol is available, regardless of weather libpq was
> linked against
> openssl or not.
>
> The only idea I have it to use "otool -l" (the equivalent to
> ldd on linux)
> and grep to check wether libpq links to libssl or not... but
> this seems
> to be quite... hm... hacky ;-)

I see. As neither an OSX user or an autoconf guru I'm probably not the
best person to ask about that. Adam on the other hand, is both. Any
ideas Adam? :-)

Regards, Dave