Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX
Date: 2005-04-13 11:44:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>>> Florian G. Pflug
>>> 1) postgres start/stop support
>>> 2) open ".sql" with pgadmin?
>>> 3) ssl support
>>> 4) Standard location for postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf?
>>> 5) Nightly Builds
>>>
>>> ad 1), 4): Depends on weather there exists a "official" binary
>>> version of postgres for OSX.
>>

>> There is no official binary for OSX that I'm aware of - certainly not on
>> the PostgreSQL ftp site anyway. However, I assume OSX uses a BSD-like
>> init system, in which case looking for /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql or
>> whatever is appropriate would work for the majority of sensibly
>> configured systems. WRT 4), again, we could just assume that
>> installations will be in /usr/local/pgsql/data or /var/pgsql/data or
>> whatever, as appropriate. Last time I tried that code it let me pick
>> other locations anyway so there shouldn't be any major problems.
>

> Hm.. no, OSX doesn't use sysv-style (or bsd-style) init-scripts.
> I has a quite similar system (also based on shell-scripts), but
> each shell-script is acompanied by a plist file, describing
> e.g. the dependencies. I believe that there is a api for starting
> and stopping services, but I'll have to check.
> Maybe we could add a preference specifying the servicename of
> postgres (since it might be PostgreSQL, or postgres, or postgresql, ...)

A default won't really work, because we can't know if that server
registration really belongs to the init/start script (as opposed to
win32, where we *create* the localhost server registration from that).

> You are of course right for the conf-file locations - those can be
> choosen in pgadmin anyway, so we could just default it to some common
> location.
>
>>> ad 2): Can you click on a saved sql query in windows, and
>>> it is opened in pgadmin3? If so, I could try to do the same
>>> for OSX
>>

>> No you can't. Make it the first new feature on OSX and I'll pledge to
>> port it to Windows :-)
>
> The only problem I see with this, is that we would need to remember to
> which "Server" the sql belonged...

:-) That ain't workin...
You'd need to pop up a "select server to connect to" box immediately.

> On a related note - I often missed the ability to switch a given sql-window
> to another connection (e.g. when I have to execute the same sql-script
> on multiple machines). Would it be possible to add a dropdrown menu to the
> sql-window which selects the connection to use? If I'd come up with a
> patch,
> would it be accepted?

After review and if reasonably full-featured. This is proabably A Good
Idea (tm), I'd like that too.

- A combobox in the toolbar with currently available connections would
be nice (menu to create conn)
- The SQL window would need to maintain its own private connection list
(it currently has a single private conn).
- conns should stay open, to retain settings / state.
- use existing open connection information, else ask for pwd if
necessary (hint: look at "join slony cluster" in slCluster for how to
select server/DB)

Regards,
Andreas