Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...
Date: 2005-01-31 22:42:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Urgh. No offence to Peter, but I think it's a helluva lot messier having
all those symlinks. Not to mention the binary/ dir which doesn't have a
non-v'ified bin/X.X.X equivalent. Can we lose /src and just keep /source
and /binary (personally I don't care whether or not we keep the v's on
the subdirs)?

It probably causes a lot of bandwidth to be wasted as well - I recently
found a mirror site that was mirroring the entire ftp ste using about 20
simultaneous ftp connections. I'll bet that didn't copy the symlinks as
symlinks and instead grabbed all the files again, each time it tried to
'sync'. I barred that particular site in the ftpd conf, but there could
be others of course.

Regards, Dave