Re: Web mirrors

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Web mirrors
Date: 2004-12-23 22:22:21
Lists: pgsql-www

I *think* you need something like:

<Directory /path/to/docroot>
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

And mod_rewrite needs to be enabled. If someone can confirm that is the
case ASAP, I will email all the mirror owners tomorrow and ask them to
make sure that is in their config so at least as many as possible work
for the time being.

> stuck with links to wwwmaster.postgresql.org, Why there are many links
> from www.postgresql.org to wwwmaster ? For example,
> on download page ftp mirror selecttion linked to
> http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp.

Because the ip2country stuff is on wwwmaster, as is the clickthru
tracker that records the usage of the mirrors and other urls that may be
clicked. That's how I can tell how many people have selected a web
mirror. Without running php code on each mirror, and granting them
access to the database, that code must be centralised. As I have sai in
the past when it was discussed, at the first sign of any performance
problems etc. I will revert it to a static system, without ip2country,
stats logging.

> Also, I couldn't figure out where I could download Windows binary.

One of the ftp mirrors, just like any other binary release. So far as I
can tell from past discussions most people think that the Windows
binaries should not be treated any differently from any others. It is a
close thing though, and at the moment there is a symlink to the
directory from the top of the ftp tree.

Regards, Dave.