Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-11-21 21:23:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

An option to download/install would be nice. That would require a
separate program on Windows of course to update the main executable.

> - the current language. A word count can be used as version.
> Automatic download/installation possible.

That won't necessarily pick up typos of course. Can we utilise CVS for
this somehow, and use it's built in version numbering? That'll even
allow segregation of major version updates using branch version numbers.

> - a different language, which might require an update
> pgadmin3.lng too.

Yup.

> Since the language isn't necessarily loaded, no version check
> can be performed.

No.

Have you thought about documentation updates?

> Questions:
> - How to inform the user about possible updates? MsgBox?
> Toolbar button showing enabled? Update check will be
> performed asynchronously, so it might pop up in the middle of
> something.

Status bar message with flashing icon?

> - Dedicated update dialog or an options tab?

I would say both. A dialogue to handle the actual updating, and maybe
one or two options to allow changes to the download location,
enable/disable checking options etc.

> - We could post some statistical data about the pga
> installation (OS/version/backend versions/server count/???)
> to get a little feedback; how to collect these?

I'd love to see this sort of info, *however*, I have little doubt the
privacy advocates would have something to say about it. I would be
*very* wary of adding such a feature.

Regards, Dave.