Re: CVS Commit by andreas: disable function owner for pgsql < 8.0 [Tony

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS Commit by andreas: disable function owner for pgsql < 8.0 [Tony
Date: 2004-10-08 11:41:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Ahh, yes well, Ivan wrote that patch, so was creditted for it. The
changelog is a bit arbitrary though - some contributors get their
initials in their once they've become regulars, regardless of whether
they are committers or not. CVS is the 'one true record'.

> I never got the idea of licensing issues on a
> hint that an attribute was missing, but thought it would be a
> good idea to reflect the appreciation of user's feedback
> about pgadmin problems.

Oh, certainly we should note ppl who report stuff. I just want it to be
clear that they reported it rather than fixed it. For many years, I've
used the [Author's name] convention in our CVS.

> I don't object marking bug reporters in CHANGELOG.txt/cvs
> differently, but this seems not adequate for licensing
> issues. The nature of pgAdmin is quite clear, so anybody
> posting something here already does this under the Artistic
> Licence. For nontrivial extended code fragments contributed
> by non-devteam members we should add a comment "contributed
> by ..." in the sources.

Again, that's fine with me. My concern is twofold- 1) what if the
licence ever proves unusuable in court, we may then need to try to
contact authors of previous code to relicence it, or 2) if there is ever
a patent or IP claim against our codebase, we may need to be able to
tell who did what.

Regards, Dave.