Re: Hey, FC2 rpm is ready!

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Devrim GUNDUZ" <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hey, FC2 rpm is ready!
Date: 2004-09-15 11:30:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OK. Don't forget, you upload to developer.pgadmin.org, but
www.pgadmin.org is a completely different machine which rsyncs the
snapshots from developer every few hours. Ftp is the same - that rsyncs
up to developer.postgresql.org, and then to ftp.postgresql.org!!

> >> Next step: I'll build the rpm of wxWidgets for FC2...
> >
> > We're not holding binaries of wxWidgets any more - they were all
> > hopelessly out of date anyway and all the developers were building
> > from source.
>
> But... I think if we didn't compile pgadmin3 with
> --enable-static, then the package size would be smaller.
> People would install wxWidgets once; and then pgadmin3. So I
> believe we should build wxWidgets rpm.

The problem is that we often update wxWidgets as well, so they end up
downloading 2 large RPMs. We also then potentially run into all sorts of
support problems because ppl don't necessarily realise this, or, they
have vanilla versions of wx installed on their system anyway because it
came with it and end up trying to compile against that. Bottom line is,
it's easier and less troublesome to use a static build.

> > It would be good though it you could build a real beta1 just for
> > completeness.
>
> Ok, done:
>
> pgadmin3-1.2.0-beta1.i686.rpm
> pgadmin3-1.2.0-beta1.src.rpm

Thanks.

> Also... FC1 has been moved (or will be moved shortly) to
> fedora legacy project. I'm not sure that we'll need to support FC1.

We still have RH9 users...

Regards, Dave