Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, <oleg(at)ourmx(dot)com>, "PgSQL Win32 developers" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2
Date: 2004-08-27 11:39:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

This is *very* far from scientific, but, I tried loading the same
dumpfile on 2 systems:

Box 1:
Slackware Linux
Dual PIII 1GHz
15K RPM U160 SCSI Disk
1GB RAM
PostgreSQL 7.3.2 roughly tuned (yes, I know it needs upgrading)
6-8 other PostgreSQL users.
Load time: 24 seconds.

Box 2:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Centrino 2.7GHz
7200 RPM IDE disk (2.5")
1GB RAM
PostgreSQL 8.0 Dev out of the box
0 other users, but runnning various other apps.
Load time: 31 seconds.

I can't honestly say I've noticed any real slowdown since SP2 with the
exception of DNS lookups which are now dog slow, however, our ISP added
access controls to their servers at about the same time I upgraded so it
may be that.

Regards, Dave.