Re: problem with CVS version

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Antonio Pennino" <a(dot)pennino(at)nocerainformatica(dot)net>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem with CVS version
Date: 2004-07-29 07:46:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

OK.

> Ok, is a problem of the driver manager.
> The MDAC update not solve the problem.

Yes, I think it is the DM. I just tried using the Ansi ODBC Test program
with the SQL Server driver. It called the Unicode functions as well...

odbcte32 828-170 ENTER SQLDriverConnectW
HDBC 003A17D8
HWND 00040396
WCHAR * 0x1F7A9D2C [ -3] "******\ 0"
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x1F7A9D2C
SWORD 2
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 1 <SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE>

odbcte32 828-170 EXIT SQLDriverConnectW with return code 1
(SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO)
HDBC 003A17D8
HWND 00040396
WCHAR * 0x1F7A9D2C [ -3] "******\ 0"
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x1F7A9D2C
SWORD 2
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 1 <SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE>

DIAG [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server]Changed database context to 'uhlive'. (5701)

> The database is not unicode:
>
> firedell:/etc/postgresql# psql -l
>
> List of databases
> Name | Owner | Encoding
> -----------+----------+-----------
> dbrete | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> firedell | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
>
> One table (with varchar also) is read ok, the other 4 no!

The difference with SQL Server is that it has separate types for
unicode/non-unicode data (nvarchar/varchar) which can be mixed in the
same table. I don't fully understand what the possible side effects
might be yet, but what if we only set conn->unicode if the connection is
made to a unicode database AND the driver tries to call SQL*ConnectW?

Comments anyone?

> Why Protocol=6.4 when i have set it to 7.x? the server is 7.2.x

7.2.x uses the 6.4 protocol. That's normal :-)

Regards, Dave.