Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jomar Andrade" <jomar(at)pobox(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer beta
Date: 2004-07-26 08:55:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

________________________________

From: pgsql-hackers-win32-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-win32-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jomar
Andrade
Sent: 26 July 2004 00:06
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgsql-hackers-win32] PostgreSQL Win32 GUI installer
beta

Great job. I've tried it and here are the little details I
noticed:
- I think the service doesn't check the postmaster.pid before
starting, so it fails after a abnormal Windows termination. The pid's
ghost remains in the data directory after a crash...

That's the intended behaviour, and exactly what happens on Unix. It's a
safety feature to help prevent 2 instances of the server being started
on the same cluster.

- The button "Next" doesn't become available after the filling
of the last box in some Windows. It "turns on" if we click anywhere,
after that.

OK, I've loged a bug a bug about that:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000035&group_id=
1000007&atid=126

- The service is created Ok, but is set to start manually.

Logged:
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000036&group_id=
1000007&atid=126

By the way, I think that warning about the creation of the
limited user with "logon as a service right" deserves a hole window, all
for himself...

That's part of a whole other debate that's already logged :-)
(http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000029&group_id
=1000007&atid=129)

- The psql.exe asks the user's password, but says it is wrong
even before it is issued.

Logged
(http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1000038&group_id
=1000007&atid=126)

Just a question: is there any possibility to give user the
option to install the Postgis extension? It would be nice, and that
moment when the packages to be installed are chosen (odbc, jdbc, etc) is
specially apropriate...

Please log a feature request for this -
http://pgfoundry.org/tracker/?atid=129&group_id=1000007&func=browse

Congratulations for the outstanding work.

Thanks, regards,

Dave.