Re: Problem with mirrorring

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, "Devrim GUNDUZ" <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with mirrorring
Date: 2004-10-03 10:17:22
Lists: pgsql-www

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hansen [mailto:john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au]
Sent: Sun 10/3/2004 3:10 AM
To: Dave Page; Devrim GUNDUZ
Subject: RE: [pgsql-www] Problem with mirrorring

> Don't you mean quite efficient... ?

No, quite inefficient. We rebuild every file on the site regardless of whether something has changed, hence every time rsync runs it sees a modified file. What I had completely forgotten when I wrote that (and later noted when I remembered) is that rsync only transfers a diff of each files, so things aren't really that bad.

Of course, how it does that is a mystery to me - without fully comparing both versions, how can it create a diff? I guess that's what made it PhD material...

/D