Re: A counter productive conversation about search.

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL WWW" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A counter productive conversation about search.
Date: 2006-08-29 08:11:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Yeah, I was thinking of Mnogosearch where a server can include
subsections so you can do things like:

ServerWeight 100
Server http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/
ServerWeight 50
Server http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/

I did get shot down as well though - iirc it was Oleg who was
essentially saying that the search engine should not have any knowledge
of the site beyond what it crawled.

> However, if you browse to the documentation you want to
> search first, then only that part of the website will be searched.
>
> Example:
>
> Go to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/index.html
> and search for 'create index'
>
> http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.po
> stgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F8.1%2Fstatic%2F%25&fm=on&cs=utf-8&q=create+index

Yeah.

/D