Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper
Date: 2006-06-23 13:45:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Urgh, so you lose the clipboard if you close the source app. I'll have
to play with it - I have an unbuntu VM kicking around.

> Latest 1.4 branch, or trunk?

Trunk.

> Well, I'm using a self-compiled version (2.6.3) - I ditched
> the ubuntu-supplied
> 2.6.1+patches wx because of those Whole-X11-Lockup problems..

Yeah, but it would be nice to not have to tell 'regular' users to do
that.

> I actually tried to persuade them to release dapper with
> 2.6.3, but since 2.6.3
> contains non-backwards-compatible api changes, they were
> reluctant to do this... :-(

Yeah, changes which we already worked around. I already expressed my
annoyance on the wx-dev list about that.

> > Aside from that though, Ubuntu seems to be the only distro
> we ever see
> > these issues reported on - what else is non-standard that might have
> > some effect on things?
> Hm, they are using gcc 4.0.3 by default. Since using that
> compiled lead to
> a pgadmin3 that wouldn't even start up, I'm now using gcc
> 3.3. Of course,
> wx is compiled with 3.3 too, but gtk and friends are the
> ubuntu version, and
> therefore compiled with 4.0.3 I believe. But for _C_ code,
> mixing compiler
> versions shouldn't hurt, should it?

It certainly can do (recent example; wx built with VC++ 6.0 won't work
with pgAdmin built with VC++ 8.0 at all). Dunno if there are any
incompatible changes between the GCC versions though.

That said, GCC 4.x is known to be able to compile pgAdmin - in fact, my
Ubuntu VM has

gcc (GCC) 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)

Which I've compiled pgAdmin with when investigating the crash issue
previously.

Regards, Dave.