Re: GUI Interface

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Kenneth Downs" <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUI Interface
Date: 2006-05-12 07:16:15
Lists: pgsql-general

________________________________

From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Kenneth Downs
Sent: 12 May 2006 02:09
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] GUI Interface

The longer you use it, the longer it takes to connect to
databases each time you start up. It says "Restoring previous
settings".

It should only take longer if the number of objects in your database
grows significantly, or if you've turned on debug logging. At that point
it is examining your database so that it can rebuild the treeview to
roughly the state that it was when you last used it.

I am considering making that behaviour optional though - I have many
databases for instance, and often find myself wating a few seconds
needlessly.

On my linux box, it also has the dubious honor of being the
only program I have ever seen that can lock X hard, with killing the X
server being the only rescue (if you call that a rescue). It can
connect over networks, but on mine it always seems to hang after an hour
or so, and you have to kill it and restart it.

That's a new one. Any other symptoms? Can you get a backtrace from a
coredump?

Finally, it ain't great for inspecting text columns.

How so- the in-grid editor? I'm open to suggestions and feedback.

Regards, Dave.