Re: Query grid

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query grid
Date: 2006-04-03 14:51:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Only of complete rows. You cannot copy individual cells, columns or
arbitrary regions.

> and we've already seen
> > that the grid can be significantly faster than the list.
>
> This is plain wrong. I never said the current listview
> implementation is good; it isn't. But to rewrite it with
> wxVIRTUAL or however the style is called is for sure easier
> than doing it with wxGrid.

Actually you've said on a number of occasions that the current
implementation is limited by the OS's underlying controls; for example:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-10/msg00248.php

Which implies that we need a better control, not a fix to our code.

> > I know you will say that the tool has only one purpose from
> your point
> > of view, but regardless of that, pgAdmin *is* a generic
> tool intended
> > to meet the needs of the majority of it's hundreds of thousands of
> > users, and that includes the query tool which many will be
> comparing
> > with SQL's Query Analyzer and similar programs.
>
> Which can do better in exactly which aspect?

Copy/paste?

/D