Re: Array with Subselect / ANY - cast?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Josh Trutwin <josh(at)trutwins(dot)homeip(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Array with Subselect / ANY - cast?
Date: 2007-08-23 01:04:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 21, 2007, at 14:35 , Josh Trutwin wrote:

> it's a simple example but the number of list-type
> fields is anticipated to be VERY high so I decided to deal with
> arrays instead of creating all sorts of normalized tables.
> Was it the right thing to do?

No offense, but I doubt it. This doesn't seem to be a very good
reason to move away from normal database practices. As I previously
mentioned, you're throwing referential integrity out the window. Do
things right unless you have a measurable reason to do things another
way. Sounds like premature optimization to me, so all the normal
rules of premature optimization apply.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net