Re: Comment on timezone and interval types

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comment on timezone and interval types
Date: 2004-10-27 09:16:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 27, 2004, at 6:00 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:21:39AM +0200, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>>
>> Using OID's is a good idea, but I think a canonical list of known
>> timezone to OID mappings must be maintained and shipped with the
>> PostgreSQL core.
>
> How can there be a "canonical list of known timezones" if every
> operating system has it's own list. Maybe you can provide a base list,
> but you have to allow for people to make their own.

My understanding is that with the addition of the zic time zone data to
the PostgreSQL server, there's no longer any need to rely on OS time
zone data. Some areas may still use OS time zone data--I'm not sure if
the all the niggling pieces have been converted yet. One could then
produce a canonical list, based on the zic data.

Corrections welcome if I've misunderstood something.

Regards,

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com