Re: Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19

From: "Jolles, Peter M (GE Energy)" <peter(dot)jolles(at)ge(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19
Date: 2010-12-01 21:15:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:59 PM Vick Khera wrote:
> the original hint said to "use a standalone backend".
>
> If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/routine-
> vacuuming.html
> section 23.1.4 it will describe exactly what just happened to you and
how to
> recover.

I apologize for the seeming dumb questions, but I have tried to start
the database using the following command:

postgres --single -D "d:/database" mydatabase

That gets me a new line in my command prompt window and nothing else.
Postgres 8.4 at least throws a warning if I am not logged in as an under
privileged user, but 9.0 gives nothing, no log file entries or other
error message that indicates it is trying and why it is failing. Using
the -r command didn't produce a log file.

Trying to run the vacuumdb.exe command fails because the database isn't
running. Using pg_ctl I can get a response, but it gives the same
startup error as originally mentioned. I must be missing something, but
I don't see what it is.