Re: sslinfo extension - add notbefore and notafter timestamps

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Cary Huang <cary(dot)huang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sslinfo extension - add notbefore and notafter timestamps
Date: 2023-07-20 15:24:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 17 Jul 2023, at 20:26, Cary Huang <cary(dot)huang(at)highgo(dot)ca> wrote:

>>> Perhaps calling "tm2timestamp(&pgtm_time, 0, NULL, &ts)" without checking the return code would be just fine. I see some other usages of tm2timstamp() in other code areas also skip checking the return code.
>>
>> I think we want to know about any failures, btu we can probably make it into an
>> elog() instead, as it should never fail.
>
> Yes, sure. I have corrected the error message to elog(ERROR, "timestamp out of range") on a rare tm2timestamp() failure.

I went over this again and ended up pushing it along with a catversion bump.
Due to a mistake in my testing I didn't however catch that it was using an API
only present in OpenSSL 1.1.1 and higher, which caused buildfailures when using
older OpenSSL versions, so I ended up reverting it again (leaving certificate
changes in place) to keep the buildfarm green.

Will look closer at an implementation which works across all supported versions
of OpenSSL when I have more time.

--
Daniel Gustafsson