horizontal clustering?

From: Chirag Patel <chirag(at)chirag(dot)name>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: horizontal clustering?
Date: 2007-08-03 20:35:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

My application is designed in such a way that the amount of data is expected to be enormous (in the terabytes). I would like to cluster the data and have the luxury of being able to slice up (denormalize) the database tables by user. In other words, users 1-50 and user 51-100 can be divided so that queries across users is not needed.

Does PostgresSQL or any third party add-ons allow this scaling to automatically occur? When I say automatically, I mean:

1. New users are routed to a different database when the current database reaches a pre-defined capacity

2. Denormalization logic is provided so that the querying across databases is transparent to the user

I've heard this feature described as "federation" or "horizontal scaling" in the O'Reilly book "Building Scalable Web Sites"

I've never done clustering before so I'm clueless. Any ideas or better suggestions?

Thanks
Chirag