Date data type

From: Mike Hall <MHall(at)astc(dot)nt(dot)gov(dot)au>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Date data type
Date: 2008-11-03 06:33:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Gday,

I'm currently converting an MS Access database to PostgreSQL (version 8.1 as it is the vesion that ships with CentOS 5).

I'm having trouble with an INSERT statement attempting to insert an empty value ('') into a field with data type DATE. This produces the following error message:

ERROR: invalid input syntax for type date: ""

It does the same whether the field has a NOT NULL restraint or not.

I can't find anything relevant in the documentation.

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Michael Hall
IT Communications Officer