Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-04 20:44:49
Lists: pgsql-www

On Jan 4, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>> It's already centralized on pgFoundry. What's the difference?
>
> I kinda think given the different usecases of the core lists and external ones as well as the huge setup differences (mj2 vs mailman for example) it would make more sense to let those go as well because migration will be at least as complex as guiding people to other services.

I don't mean use the core mailman. I mean have a separate projects mailman, which is exactly what pgf does. Hell, one could keep using the exact domains and lists now with no significant downtime, even if pgf went away.

> well I can easily imagine that putting a (hopefully powerful) search on top of that aggregator and being able to search data we already have (in the wiki database or pgf itself) seems logical.

That would be reason to have a central system for release distribution and documentation management. I've got some ideas about that I'll post later, under a different subject.

Best,

David